Wednesday, May 5, 2010

This &*(^% Old House...

When I am down and out, feeling low, when tears are in my eyes.....I decorate.  And listen to sad music.  Thanks Art and Paul (just doesn't have the same ring does it?) 

So anyway, I have lived in this house for the longest that I have ever lived in one house in my entire life.  Eleven whole, solid years.  When I went looking for a house all those years ago I wanted an old house to fix up.  Oh, how I would plan and dream of renovating an old farm house-I would bake cookies and wear aprons and have garden parties. 

So it has been an act of love and kindess that has gone into the remaking of this little 110-year-old farm house.  Everything has gone perfectly and my projects are always under budget and it looks exactly like I want it to.

No, no, no none of that is true.  My dreams of Laura Ashley wallpaper and Rachel Ashwell inspired vignettes were kicked over, trampled on, spit on and set on fire by failing septic tanks, falling down chimneys, dysfunctional water heaters, dry rot, drafty windows, insufficient insulation~~I really don't need to go on, though I could. 

So I did the best I could with wall paper and blinders.  This~~~~sigh~~~~ this is my living room.  I apologize in advance. 



Yeah, I know.  I hate it.  But life happens you know and after a while you just don't see it anymore.  Well I decided life is too short to be in a place that doesn't make you happy.  SO--here we go...

Step 1.  Clear everything out of the room.  Yikes.


Let's see what changes I can make with $1,000.00 and some, a little, a lot,  a freaking football stadium filled with faith. (Oh and lots of Raspberry Snapple)

Come back tommorow for Step 2.

Smiles,
Lisa

9 comments:

  1. As the person who is never finished renovating a 1923 cabin in the woods, I have faith in you. YOU CAN DO IT - and I'm waiting with baited breath to see what you are going to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lord woman are you going to be able to finish tomorrow? Cause that's a lot of work for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, but the place has *character*! It is not so bad as you think and the wallpaper is lovely! I'm a goat and I even like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping your project will inspire me to do the same in my living room and bedroom. Both rooms need a good cleaning, and a lot of freshning (is that a word?). Come on Lisa, I'm counting on you to light a fire under my butt! Good luck, can't wait to see the results. Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI LISA, JUST LOOK AT THAT HARDWOOD FLOOR, THOSE WONDERFUL WINDOWS WITH ALL THE PRETTY TRIM, AND DID I MENTION THE GREAT, TO DIE FOR BASEBOARDS????!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR MOE, AND I CAN ONLY DREAM.........CHAR

    ReplyDelete
  6. can't wait to see what you do next

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, you can do this. It take one step at a time. We have been working on our house for three years. Just think back to the day you moved in. You have probably accomplished more than you thought. Remember, one step and then another. You will see changes. You go girl!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. You get to spend 1000 dollars???? Wow, I'm definitely going to expect some very fancy looking decorating. And hey, what was wrong with that light fixture you took down? I really liked it. Your farmhouse has great bones. Looking forward to Step 2 Lisa! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only have one question...why is the picture of the ship hung way up by the ceiling?
    Other than that it look great to me. A family home. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete