Monday, April 5, 2010

My good dishes...

Do you have "good" dishes?  Do you use them?  Do you worry about them, wince when someone cuts their meat too vigorously on them?  Do you allow anyone else to wash them?  Do you only use them for special occasions?



I have so many questions.  I have good dishes.  They are about the only "good" thing I do have.  They are Royal Albert in the Old Country Roses pattern.  I love, love, love them.  A lot.  So much so that I have had them for about eleven years and yesterday...was the first time they have ever had food on them.  I had to soak the bar code stickers off of them.  I was saving them for when my formal dining room was finished and the house was perfect.  But you know what?  I don't want to die having never used my "good" dishes even if that means letting the cave people who live with me use them too.  After asking them to be careful because they were real china, it was asked how you could tell real china from other stuff.  So then everyone had to hold up the bread plate and look through it, which caused my heart to stop beating until the little plates were once again on the table. 

Needless to say, my Easter dinner was a little tense and it was asked kindly by the cave persons that unless we were eating oatmeal with plastic spoons for our next special occasion, could I please leave the "good" dishes in the cupboard.  Absolutely.  Then we ate cake....on paper plates.





Smiles from the farm,
Lisa

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that pattern! I actually own bookoos of china. I started collecting blue willow and other blue transferware when I was a teenager, so that is what I use for my "good dishes" now. But I also collect Homer Laughlin china, that I just LOOK AT and never use. As well as other pieces, mostly from the 1920's - 1940's. I have a "thing" for china......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh, Lisa. I have dishes in my cupboard that I never use (glasses, too). I am such a klutz, I break everything. Once I found my husband eating off one of the "special" plates I have. I was horrified! He was so innocent of my obsession. Old Roses is one of my very favorite patterns. My what good taste you have. And your cake is just beautiful. It was nice to see you Sat. Next week, Burnham. Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pattern also, and it looks so sweet with your vintage tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what they say about waiting until things are 'right'. Good for you! You used those beautiful dishes. The goatmother has a set from France and she winces too, but oh well, you only live once (at least this time around :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, I have good dishes but my old dishes show the "knife" wear that you speak of.... from my cave person husband. Odds are... my good dishes will NEVER see daylight!!! LOL!! your cake looks yummy!! hugs, jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved that pattern of china! Lucky you to have a set of it! I've never known anyone that has owned a set of it. Or maybe they just keep it locked away when I'm around! That is a beautiful cake, I love coconut too! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete