Monday, May 28, 2012

The One That Got Away...

A sign just like this was at the auction on Sunday, tucked away in a box of junk.  I mean, come on!  Hamm's Beer--could it be anymore Mad Men--retro?  I wanted it so-so bad.


So during this particular part of the auction you have to crowd around the auctioneer in this really tight, dirty space with people pushing and shoving.  It's pretty intense.  So I stood by my sign, waiting for the runner to start picking the boxes.  I told him what I wanted and started bidding.  It went up to $30.00 and the other bidder got angry and shouted "Who the hell am I bidding against?"  The auctioneer pointed to me and I dropped out.  Not because I was intimidated, but because $30.00 was my limit.  Well it turns out we were bidding on a box of moldy books.  I expressed my relief that I hadn't won.  The bidder heard me and started yelling about how I jacked the price up.  I tried to tell him that I thought we were bidding on the sign and he just glared at me.  Hey, that's the way it goes.  SO then the real sign comes up and again it goes up to $30.00 and I again, let it go.  Crap.

When I got home I looked on Ebay to see if I could find one.  I did.  It sold for over $600.00.  Did I mention, crap?

Crap.  Don Draper wouldn't have let it go.



Oh well.  I did get a box of creepy old dolls and a duffle bag full of vintage cameras, a whole lot of old sewing stuff and a box of old tinware.  Oh!  And a Ukulele!  No, I don't know why 'cause I have no idea how to play it.  If I did...I'd write a sad song about Jon Hamm and beer.  IT.  WOULD.  BE.  AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment